Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Snyder / Hershey Family

I have been fortunate to been given documents from the Snyder / Hershey family that detail the history of these two families.

There is an Ancestral Fan Chart showing the Snyder Family Tree. Some parts of this Chart detail relations as far back as 10 generations. However, following the male Snyder lineage only goes back to John Snyder (birth date and death unknown), the father of Christian B. Snyder (born 1809).

For the Hershey side, a book was published called "Esther's Family - The Hershey's of Lancaster County" by Margaret Lehman. Also, there is a document referred to as "Tribute to D. David Hershey and Sue B. Hershey", given to me by Anna Marie Landis.

Christian B. Snyder (b. 1809) bought Jacob Huber's Tavern (now know as Forgotten Seasons Bed & Breakfast) from Jacob Erb's assignee, Elias Eby on April 1, 1844. A copy of the deed can be found in the B&B library. Jacob Erb's son, Henry Erb, made an agreement with Christian Snyder that Jacob Erb would be buried in the Erb / Snyder family cemetery located on this property next to his wife, Elizabeth Becker Erb.

Christian B. Snyder (born 2/12/1809) married Barbara Bucher Brubaker (born 6/22/1813), however the wedding date is not known at this time. She was the daughter of Joseph Brubaker and Mary Bucher and the granddaughter of Hans Martin Bucher and Christian Eby 2nd.

Christian (b.1809) and Barbara had 5 sons and 2 daughters.

Simon Snyder (married Fanny Bucher)
Christian B. (b. 12/1/1839) (married Susan Brubaker Longenecker)
Elias B.
Mary Ann (married Issic Nolt)
Barbara Ann (married Jacob Stoner)
Abraham A. (married Sarah Shreiner)

It is noted on the Ancestral Fan Chart that Christian B. (b 1839) was 4 years old when he arrived in America.

Christian B. (b.1839) married Susan Brubaker Longenecker on 11/1/1866 and had 2 sons and 2 daughters.

Agnes L. (married Jacob Wissler)
Amanda L. (b. 5/7/1869, d. 10/28/1871) is buried in the Erb / Snyder cemetery.
Jacob L. (married Sadie H. Walter)
Nathan L. (married Emma Bucher Brubacher)

This property was passed on from Christian B. (b.1809) to Christian B. (b.1839).

Nathan L Snyder and his wife, Emma had 3 daughters and 1 son.

Edna B. (married Christ G. Hess)
Susan B. (married David Paul Hershey)
C. Abram (married Ruth L. Yoder)
Helen B. (married Harry S. Mumma)

This property was passed on to Nathan and Emma on March 31, 1900.

Susan Brubacker Snyder Hershey and David Paul Hershey were married on 12/25/1922. They had 3 sons and 4 daughters.

Henry Richard (married Barbara Ann Hess)
Mary Jane (married C. Elvin Landis)
Lois Arlene (married Kenneth B. Noll)
David Paul, Jr
Mildred Sue (married Levi Henry Weaver)
Anna Marie (married Paul Groff Landis)
Mark Snyder (married Martha Susan Reist)

This property was passed on to D. Paul and Susan on 3/3/1930.

Henry Richard Hershey and Barbara Ann Hess were married on 5/17/1947. They had 5 daughters and one son.

Shirley Ann (married Stuart Wesley Showalter)
Henry Hess (married Wendy Walls)
Mary Louise
Barbara Sue (married Thomas Bollinger)
Doris Jean (married David Dagen)
Linda Kay (married Scott David Rittenhouse)

This property was passed on to Henry Richard and Barbara Ann on 10/8/1960.

--more details to come--

Saturday, August 13, 2005

The Erb Family

The Erb family owned Jacob Huber's Tavern (now known as the "Forgotten Seasons Bed & Breakfast") for about 40 years , from 1802 through 1844. The history of this family has been widely documented. They have a very interesting history that can be traced back to the mid 1500's.

The research has traced the lineage back to Ulrich Erb and his wife, Barbli Schoni Erb, both born about 1545 in the Emmental Valley, Canton Bern, Switzerland. Their children were at christened in the Reformed Church located in Rothenbach, Canton Bern.

The connection from Ulrich and Barbli to the property owners of Jacob Huber's Tavern is as follows:

Ulrich and Barbli Schoni Erb
Peter and Magdalena Kupferschmid Erb
Hans and Anna Haldiman Erb
Nicholas (Claus) and Catrina (?) Erb
In the publication called "A Biographical History of Lancaster County - Being A History of Early Settlers and Eminent Men of the County" written by Alexander Harris, October 1872, you'll find several pages devoted to the Erb Family. In this publication, their story picks up with Nicolas (Claus) Erb.
Nicholas (Claus) Erb
Hans Erb, Nicholas' father, wanted Nicholas to become a Catholic priest. However Nicholas joined the Mennonites instead. He left Rothenbach, Canton Bern, and went into hiding for some time at a place called "West Walter Hoof" (or "Westerhoof"). The location of West Walter Hoof is not known, but is speculated to be a farm in Germany.
This was around 1720 and a very dangerous and turbulent period which followed the 30 year war in Europe. If you didn't follow the State Religion, you had a problem. Non-conformists either lost their property, ended up in jail, were executed or were forced to leave the region.
William Penn was establishing his experiment in the New World at a place called "Pennsylvania" providing for the freedom to express individual religious beliefs. William Penn actively pursued bringing the displaced Palatinates to his land because he knew that they would help bring stability to the area. They were hard workers and knew how to farm the land. He also knew that these people tended not to move, that once they established a home, they tended to remain there for many generations.
The accounts report that Nicholas (Claus) Erb lived under the protection of the property owner at "West Walter Hoff".
In 1737, the entire family packed up and made the trip to the Port of Philadelphia, arriving on October 8, 1737 on the ship "Charming Nancy". Joining them on this voyage was also the first group of Amish families to Pennsylvania. They made up the "Cocalico Amish" community.
Nicholaus (Claus) Erb settled on 285 acres located on Hammer Creek in Warwick Township, Lancaster County.
It is documented that Nicholas and Catrina had 8 children, 5 sons and 3 daughters. They were all born in Canton Bern and ranged in ages of 24 years to about 1 year old when they made the journey from Europe to Pennsylvania.
Nicholas (Claus) and Catrina are reported to be buried on the Greystone Manor Farm.
Their oldest son was John (Hans) Erb. He was born in Canton Bern on March 13, 1713. John married Barbara Schrantz about 1744 in the Erbdale Meeting House located between Manheim and Lititz. Barbara was born in Baden Germany on January 19, 1716 and also came to Pennsylvania on the "Charming Nancy".
John and Barbara eventually moved to a property located between Lititz and Manheim. They raised 6 children and 1 daughter there.
John and Barbara are buried in the Erb Cemetery located on the Fairview Road, west of Evans Road, near today's Fahnestock Fruit Farm.
Christian Erb (Sr)
One of their sons was Christian Erb (Sr). He was born on February 6, 1755 on the family farm.
In "A Biographical History of Lancaster County" written by Alexander Harris, it is written that Christian Erb...married Anna Bomberger....she is reputed to have been a stately and prim old lady, who, being a Mennonite, wore her dresses plain, but of rich materials, with a snowy kerchief and cap. She was well versed in Scriptures.
Anna Bomberger was a descendent of Christian Bomberger, owner of the adjacent property.
Christian Erb (Sr) bought the Jacob Huber's Tavern property from his sister, Magdalena, and her husband, Joseph Gingerich on May 3, 1802.
Christian (Sr) and Anna had two sons, Christian (Jr) and Jacob and a daughter, Maria.
It is speculated that Christian (Sr) removed the old log cabin and built the east addition that exists today. When Dale Groff renovated the east kitchen, hand split lathe and nails were recovered that indicate a 1800 to 1810 construction time frame.
In Christian (Sr) Will dated April 13, 1812, he mentions "I do give....unto my wife, Ann, the small room with the small kitchen and the small room in the upper story of this my dwelling house wherein I now reside...and also the cellar and to the bake oven for baking her bread as she may have occasion for..." This would match the existing east addition.
When the renovations took place in 2002, indications of a stairway leading to the second floor was uncovered. The current steps leading to the basement match the configuration of that stairway. It is assumed that when the stairway to the second floor was relocated in the mid-1900, that the original steps that Christian (Sr) built were reused to lead to the basement.
In Henry H. Bomberger's article written for the Lancaster County Historical Society titled "Pioneers and Transportation on Newport Road", published 1932, he writes "Jacob Huber passed this farm to Christian Erb. A distillery, and later, a hotel was on his farm. Mr. Erb had a team of six black horses on the Newport Road and delivered goods. In looking over the accounts of Eby's Mill, the writer found that only a few shipments of flour were made to Reading; later, most all shipments were made to Newport and some to Philadelphia. Mr. Erb's team was above the ordinary. Erb was a brother-in-law of Bomberger. No doubt each wanted the best. It seems there was much pride among these teamsters."
Christian (Sr) willed his property to his two sons, Christian (Jr) and Jacob. Christian (Jr) then sold his half of the property to Jacob and then moved to Dayton, Ohio. Maria married Henry Hostetter and moved to Hanover, York Co., PA.
Jacob Erb
Jacob, son of Christian (Sr), remained on his parents property.
He married his neighbor, Elizabeth Becker. She was the oldest child of Christian and Anna Brubacher Becker and the great granddaughter of Valentine Becker. (The Valentine Becker farm is located adjacent to the Nicholas (Claus) Erb farm.)
Jacob and Elizabeth had 6 daughters and 3 sons.
Jacob was a very active business man, farmer and, according to tax records, ran a distillery on the farm.
The summer of 1812 was a sad period for the Erb Family. On June 30, 1812, Elizabeth gave birth to Barbara and on July 1, 1812, she gave birth to Mary. Elizabeth died on July 5, 1812, due to complications from that child birth. On August 1, 1812, Jacob's father, Christian (Sr), died. It is reported that Barbara died in infancy.
....more details to come....

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Root Cellar at Jacob Huber's Tavern

Vaulted Arch (Root) Cellar


Jacob Huber’s Tavern

now known as

Forgotten Seasons Bed & Breakfast
304 East Newport Road
Lititz, PA 17543

The large vaulted arch cellar (or root cellar) is located under the eastern side of the house and was the first part of the Tavern to be built circa 1733 - 1735.

The cellar extends from the front wall of the Tavern to the rear wall, or about 30’ long. It is 12’ feet wide, or the same width as the Dining Room and original Kitchen located above it.

The exterior stairway leading to the cellar has a southern exposure. The steps are made of sandstone. They wore down as people entered the cellar. At some point the wear on the step was deep enough that they would be flipped over so a flat surface would be exposed to the top.

There are 8 candle nitches located, four on each side, located where the arch for the ceiling begins. These were used to light the cellar while individuals were working in the cellar preparing the food.

Four cast iron hooks are built into the vaulted ceiling and were used to hold 2 branches. These branches were in turn used to hang meats and other items on.

There are 2 air vents, one on each end of the cellar, used to circulate air.

In the Kitchen, a trap door was located in the floor that provided access to the “dumb waiter” underneath. This dumb waiter was used to lift and lower items from the root cellar into the kitchen area above. The dumb waiter was a platform attached to a rope and pulley.

An individual worked in the root cellar doing preliminary preparation of food, then place the food items on the dumb waiter. The dumb waiter with the food on it was then raised up into the kitchen for final food preparation.

This root cellar design allowed for an individual to work in the root cellar with the exterior door closed. The food could be moved from the cellar to the kitchen without having to go outside or through the dining areas. The candles in the nitches provided the light for them to see. The air temperature always remained 54 degrees regardless of the season.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Henry William Stiegel - "Baron Stiegel"

The Baron that wasn't!!!!

The man who thought very highly of himself....who looked for opportunity....who created a bubble that burst....more to come

Count Nicolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf visits

Zinzendorf....the rich young ruler that said YES!!!

Count Nicolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf sent missionaries throughout the world to proclaim Christ's love for Mankind.

Most of what Count Zinzendorf started remains to this day....Bethlehem, Nazareth, Emmaus, Lebanon, and Lititz, located in PA, were all a product of his vision to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ and of His salvation to all through His death on the Cross. His influence had a huge impact on developing the Colonies, in particular Pennsylvania, as they were being molded in the 1740 to 1760 period.

The Count's one night stay to Jacob Huber's Tavern, now known as the Forgotten Seasons Bed & Breakfast and located 1 mile north of Lititz along East Newport Road, is still talked about centuries later.

In 1936, Nazi German officials along with Mennonites, Lancaster County Historical Society members and 500 local citizens came to Jacob Huber's Tavern to commemorate the Count's visit in December, 1742. Today, people travel from all over the world to learn more about this individual through his sermons, books and videos detailing his life that are found in the Bed & Breakfast library.

Count Zinzendorf's Background

Born into royalty, Nicolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf was of the Austrian Dynasty lineage. After he was just a few days old, his father died. His mother moved in with her mother-in-law. Later, his mother remarried and left Nicolaus with his grandmother for her to raise him.

In religious matters, his grandmother was a pietist. For this reason, when Nicolaus was ready for school, he and his private tutor started his studies in Halle, known for strong pietistic instructions. Later he studied at Wittenburg University, the same school that Martin Luther attended many years earlier.

Count Zinzendorf was groomed by his family to become a ruler in the Palatinate region. He knew at least 5 languages. Fencing and dancing were part of what he was expected to be knowledgable in. In his early twenties, after he finished formal schooling, he spent a year touring the major cities in Europe to "learn the ropes" on being a member of royalty.

He was a well spoken, persuasive speaker who could very effectively communicate his ideas. He was well read and was innovative in all he did. Today's term would be that he "thought out of the box".

....more details soon......

Halle University

Wittenberg University

The Tour

Marriage and Settling Down

Christians looking for a safe haven

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Jacob Huber

The First of Many

Before Lititz came into existence, Jacob Huber lived adjacent, on the north side, to George Kline. Jacob Huber made a significant contribution to the development of this region, located 7 miles to the north of the City of Lancaster. After his land purchase, he built a log cabin, measuring 18’ x 20’. Then, circa 1733 – 1735, he built a building measuring 47 x 32 to be used as a Tavern, adjacent to the log cabin. This building remains today and is known as the Forgotten Seasons Bed & Breakfast.

Jacob was a proactive business man, realizing opportunites and developing them into realities. In addition to the Tavern, he participated in the layout of two major roads that I think without co-incidence, happened to intersect an eighth of a mile away from his newly built Tavern.

In 1739, Jacob was commissioned by the County of Lancaster to survey and improve Newport Road from Mt. Hope to Spring Garden area. This was done and he reported to the commissioners on November 4th, 1740 with the following recommendation, as noted in the "Lancaster County Pennsylvania Quarter Sessions Abstracts (1729 - 1742) Book 1, edited by Gary T. Hawbaker:

"Report of the road in Warwick Township "from the Provincial Road near Joseph Jervis's to Private way Leading into Pexton Road not far from Michael Betley's". Land and places the road passes: "Beginning at a Marked Black oak in the Provincial Road afsd. about half a mile to the westward of Joseph Jervis' Mill", "to William Richardson's fence", between William Richardsons & James McCurdys", "to James Youngs Smith Shop", "to John Abbeys Mill", "Between Saml. Graffs & Christ. Wengers", "to Conestogoe Creek", "between Edward ffurnea & John Smith" , " Cocalico Creek then Down by the Side of the Said the ffording place", "to Michl. Bowers Corner", "to Ulrick Hubers run", "to Jacob Hubers", to Christ. Bombarger", "to Jacob Conrades", "to Adam Keeners", "to an Unlaid out Road Leading to Pexton Road & to John ffredricks Mill".

Again, Jacob Huber, along with his neighbor George Kline, were requested by the Court in November of 1741, "to lay out a road from the Town of Lancastr. Towrds Tolpehocken".

In February of 1742, their report stated "Road from the Town of Lancaster toward Tolpehocken". Land and Places the road passes: "Beginning at the Court House in Lancaster thence along Queen Street North", "to the end of Mr. Hamiltons field", "to the Road between Jacob Hov(er?) & Chris Bumbarger", to La[?] Hoffs Line", "to ye Creek by John Brubakers land", "to the lane between George Albright & Jacob Keesey", "to He[nry?] Humrys Land", "to Durst Thomas", "to Martin Thomas' run", "to Peter Beckers", "to Adam Stump", "to Henry Myer", "to ye Great Road to Cobles". Confirmed."

A couple items of note in the previous paragraph include the following:

Today, Route 501 follows roughly the same path as this road from the Courthouse in Lancaster to Toplehocken mentioned above.

Also, this same road passed through George Kline's property. Today's intersection of Main Street or Route 772 and Route 501 falls within the original George Kline property.

This road was recommended for laid out in February of 1742 and this road was to go from the Courthouse in Lancaster to Tolpehocken. It was in December of 1742, that Count Zinzendorf traveled from Bethlehem to Oley to Tolpehocken to Jacob Huber's Tavern passed George Kline's property to the Lancaster Courthouse. It was on this journey that Count Zinzendorf stayed at Jacob Huber's Tavern and assembled the local German farmers to share with them his vision of starting a church mission. The result of this trip was George Kline eventually donating his property to the Moravian Church several years later and which went on to become today's Lititz.

Around 1750, Jacob started a cast iron furnace operation located at the intersection of today's Route 501 and Route 322. This operation was named after his daughter, Elizabeth.

A young man in his early twenties, named Henry William Steigel from Cologne, Germany arrived at the furnace in 1752 and began working as a clerk for Jacob. On November 7, 1752, Henry and Jacob Huber's daughter, Elizabeth were married. On November 5, 1756, Barbara Steigel was born to this young couple. On February 3, 1758, a second child named Elizabeth was born. On February 13, 1758, Elizabeth Huber Steigel died from complications of child birth at her father's home.

Two and a half months later on May 6, 1758, Henry William Steigel brought in Charles Stedman, Alexander Stedman and John Barr, wealthy investors from Philadelphia, to purchase Elizabeth Furnace from Jacob Huber. Then six months after that, Henry William Steigel married Elizabeth Holtz.

Elizabeth, the daughter of Elizabeth and Henry William, married William Old. Their second child, Joseph, went on to marry Rebecca Ege, who was the daughter of Judge Ege of Charming Forge. Their third child, James, died at four years old on May, 10, 1777. You can find his grave site next to his grandmother Elizabeth Steigel's grave in Brickerville.

One interesting note is that Robert Coleman, the individual who would eventually own Elizabeth Furnace (his family still owns the property to this day) married Anne Old, the brother of William Old, who married Elizabeth Steigel.

The Old's and the Coleman's went on to become the Iron Master "Dynasty" in Lancaster, Lebanon and Berks County. The Coleman's personally knew many Presidents and there was an Ambassador in their family line.

Back to Jacob Huber.....poor relations eventually developed between Jacob Huber and "Baron" Steigel. In his will dated January 26th, 1767, Jacob Huber wrote "Item, I give and bequeath yo my Son in Law, Henry William Sheglar (Stiegel) the sum of one Shilling sterling, and I exclude him and his heirs forever from all further claim to my Estate either real or Personal."

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

We're environmentally sensitive

Today the public discussion in Lancaster County is focused on recharging the groundwater, cleaning up the stormwater run-off before it enters the creeks and streams and the impact Lancaster County streams and rivers have on the Chesapeake Bay.

Dale works for Terre Hill Concrete Products. They have developed a new product called Terre Kleen. This is designed to remove oils, litter and sediment from storm water, then allowing the storm water to continue it's flow to the receiving waters.

Forgotten Seasons Bed & Breakfast is located in Warwick Township. This township is a leader in environmental issues and is recognized nationally for the accomplishments that have been achieved here in the township. Here at the B&B, we have looked at how we can contribute to that effort on our own property. Click here to see some pictures of grounds around the B&B.

First, we have a swale that channels the storm water runoff from the adjacent properties and East Newport Road into Erb Run. Erb Run is a small spring fed stream that flows through the Warwick Township Linear Park. Previously this swale was always mowed and kept trimmed. Therefore the stormwater runoff ran right through the property without stopping.

Today, we allow the grasses to grow to their natural heights, added some ornamental grasses, wild flowers and a willow tree.

This is all designed to slow the water flow down during a storm and to allow the storm water runoff to recharge into the ground. This has the effect of reducing the runoff that actually gets to the stream, thus helps to reduce flooding of Erb Run.

Second, we do not fertilize or put weed killer on the lawn. This reduces the nitrate levels that endup in the Chesepeake Bay. Mow the grass, it looks just as green as a treated lawn and you are not having a harmful effect on those downstream. Plus you save the money that would have gone to the lawn care service.

Third, we started an all natural wild flower garden in the "upper forty", located on the right side on the entrance drive when you're driving around back to the B&B. We placed all of our dead leaves, grass clippings, dead branches in this area over a three year period and allowed them to decompose. Then we added a load of horse manure from a stable our friends owned and turned everything into the ground. This process changed a hard clay piece of ground that did not absorb water into a rich, fertile soil. Today, when you walk in this area, you can sink up to your ankles. It's like a sponge.

To the untrained eye, this is a bunch of weeds. However, look closely and you'll find flowers blooming in this garden all summer long. The garden does not need extensive weeding because, heck, about half of them are weeds themselves that happen to produce beautiful flowers. They are native to the area and drought resistant so they do not need watering. We go up in the morning cut a bunch of flowers, put then in vases and display them through out the Bed & Breakfast. No cost, low maintenance and they pretty up the house all summer long.

Monday, July 04, 2005

Newport Road

The Road to Newport, Delaware

Newport Road, originally an Indian trail that connected the Delaware River with Lancaster County, eventually became the major hauling route that ran from Mount Hope to Newport, DE. The total distance is about 63 miles. At first it was said to be so narrow that horses traveled in a single file. It was estimated to take about 7 to 8 hours to travel the entire distance at a normal pace on horse back. Pulling heavily loaded wagons and steeps hills often made the trip much longer.

Newport, Delaware, founded in 1682, was the seaport that goods came into from overseas. Since the infrastructure in Pennsylvania was not established at that time to support the people that flowed into Pennsylvania, goods that were shipped from Europe were then transported inland by wagon. This was a big business for the first settlers, transporting goods inland.

The Taverns

There were taverns and inns located on Newport Road about every ten miles for food and overnight stays. These taverns were built in the 1720 to 1740 time period. Services, such has blacksmith shops and carriage shops, sprung up around these locations. Later, people began settling near them, so churches and schools were not far behind. Towns like Rothsville, Lititz, Christiana, Avondale came into being.

Today, following Newport Road from Newport, DE to the Mount Hope, located at current day Route 72, you can find the buildings from the past standing, some in use as they were when first built, some adapted to modern uses.

In the middle of Chatham, along current day Route 41, also known as Newport Pike, a very fine and large inn was built and still exists. This is now a daycare operation.

Current day Dugan Station II in Gap located near the junction of Newport Road (Route 772) and Route 30 was once the northern terminus of the Gap-Newport Turnpike. This turnpike was incorporated by managers from Philadelphia, Chester and Lancaster Counties in 1796. The intention was to have this "turnpike" connect the Wilmington traffic to the Philadelphia / Lancaster traffic. Today this is still a major intersection and still serves the same purpose.

Newport Road also intersects with the Philadelphia / Lancaster Old Road (current day Route 340) in "Cross Keys", now known as Intercourse.

From here, the road was used much earlier, between 1725 and 1740.

Continuing north of Intercourse, between Monterey and Mascot on Mill Creek, Mascot Roller Mill still stands and is open free to the public. Built in the mid 1730's, this building remains an excellent example of how a mill appeared and operated.

You'll find a Tavern still standing at the intersection of Route 23 and Newport Road (Route 772) in Leola. That building now houses a tanning salon.

In Rothsville, located at the "Y" in the road at the intersection of Route 772 and East Newport Road, on the west end of town, sits the White Swan Hotel and is still in operation. The road in Rothsville was reported to always be muddy. Later a railroad was laid just to the north of town that ran from Reading to Lititz to Columbia.

Perhaps the most noteworthy Tavern was the one owned by Jacob Huber, located a quarter mile east of the intersection of current day Route 501 and East Newport Road. This is currently the Forgotten Seasons Bed & Breakfast. This is where Count Zinzendorf stopped and preached in December of 1742, to the local German farmers about his vision of establishing a settlement in the area for the purpose of extending the Moravian missions to the Natve Americans and to the German settlers. Later, as a result of Count Zinzendorf's visit, George Klein, a neighbor to Jacob Huber, donated his land to the Moravian Church. In 1756, this town became known as Lititz and remains to this day.

In the early 1750's, Jacob Huber started the Elizabeth Furnace operation located at current day Route 501 and Route 322. Elizabeth Furnace received it's name from Jacob's daughter, Elizabeth. She was the first wife of Baron William Henry Stiegel. Baron Steigel went on to developed the famous color glassware and founded the town of Manhiem, PA.

Near Elm, Christian Bomberger was one of the first settlers to the area. His son, Christian, farmed, had a distillery and hauled flour on the Newport Road for several years for Christian's Eby's mill in the mid 1700's.

In Elm, where five roads intersect, a tavern called Molly Plaster's Tavern operated. The roads to Speedwell Forge, Newport Road, Brubaker Valley Road and Elm Road are still active today. Molly Plaster's Tavern was known to be where the mountaineers and iron workers gathered.

In Penryn, Matthias Gish worked a Blacksmith operation along the road.

One interesting fact is that the Grubb family settled in the Newport / Newark Delaware region and also their family can be found as owners of the Mt Hope Furnace, located at the northern end of Newport Road, nearby Cornwall Furnace and Hopewell Forge.